Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer And The City (The Carrie Diaries, Book #2)

I sincerely, truly adored the first book in this series : The Carrie Diaries


And so, I was compelled to grab the second book. It helped that it had three of my favourite ingredients:
a) New York City
b) The tale of a fledgling writer
c) The coming-of-age journey of the delightfully quirky and iconic Carrie Bradshaw

Sadly, at the end of this fairly chunky read….I had to go…‘eh’.

The plot and characters are predictable. You can immediately tell who is the last-page love-interest, who is going through the throes of a just-divorced rebound, who is the sex-fiend (NOT Samantha!), who is the egomaniac and who is the confused feminist.

Obligatory references to Carrie’s love for vintage and bizarre fashion (that works!) are thrown in as an afterthought. The author oscillates between her love for The Big Apple and the need to keep things starkly real.

I really wanted to love this book. But…

No comments: