Sunday, October 21, 2007

Heart-Whole And Stomach-Overload!!


So finally, after another colorful session of festivities and food Unltd.; I have stumbled back to my desk. I can barely move (mental note to self: invest in jeans with elasticated waist-band ---fashion police be damned!!), much less string together witty or snarky statements. So for a change, I am going to post a politically correct and religiously infused post.

The highlight of this Dassera for me was the Sarbojanin (literally meaning - "involving all") Durga Puja, held in true blue Bong-Style!!

It has all the elements of a mini-fair....an explosion of colours, complete with kitschy stalls selling everything from gorgeous Bengali Sarees to equally scrumptious Fish-fry!!! The main pandal is a pain-staking work of art. The lovely statuesque Devis with their sparkling almond-eyes, long black spiral curls and multiple hands wielding an array of weapons emanate an atmosphere of awe and splendour.

And paying respectful homage to the same is the surprisingly devout pundit.

Unlike the usual world-weary bunch of holy men (atleast the ones I have witnessed!!) who go through the proceedings with a dead-pan expression, dribbling out incoherent mantras with total detachment ……this particular pundit was a refreshing change. He performed the entire puja with single-minded veneration...eyes closed, smiling gently at the devis……and moving in perfect rhythm to the thunderous drums.

You can't help but be moved by the spectacle. Pulsating with sound, light and smoke....the effect is stupendous. Standing stock-still for over an hour, being jostled by sweaty aunties and having a toddler dribbling on my shoulder all somehow seemed worthwhile. I came away, feeling inspired and sporting a more friendlier disposition!!


And today.......the last day of Navratri, was a replay of Ganesh Chaturthi. Loads of cooking and hardwork followed by a loo-ong lunch with generous second and third helpings!! I am feeling full and content…all thoughts of calories and kilos once again relegated to the back-burner.

I don’t know how long this state of karmic bliss is going to last but till the euphoria dissipates (and I stop resembling a comatose walrus!!)…am gonna languish in it and crunch happily on another of Mukhi Taru’s sinfully rich "maa-ke-ladoos"!!!!

No comments: